Kitchen and bathroom remodeling jobs are very popular around the United States. Part of this is because of the value these remodeling jobs add to a home. A simple bathroom remodeling job can add as much as 60% of the cost of the project to the resale value of the property. If you are thinking about remodeling one (or all) of the bathrooms in your home, there are some things you can do to have a better experience. From picking the right tile to determining the scope of your project, these tips should help with your home remodeling project.
- Think about why you are doing your bathroom remodeling job. Different people have different reasons for wanting to remodel their bathrooms. If you are doing it to make the space more comfortable for you and your family, you may go for different things than if you are looking to sell your home and want to up the sale price. Think about your reasons for doing the job and and what you want to accomplish. If you are selling the property, you may end up putting more into the job than if you are working towards creating a dream home, meaning you may have more time to do a number of remodeling projects so you do not have to redo an entire bathroom. You may have less time when you are planning to put the home on the market.
- Look at your finances and plan your budget. Before you start any big job in your home, you need to decide what you can spend on it. Look at your finances. Spend some time looking into how much money you have coming in every month, how much you have to spend on bills and how much savings you have. Before you talk to anyone about bathroom design or to any contractors to start the work on your bathroom, you need to know how much you want to spend. This can make a big difference in what materials you use and how extensive your remodeling job is.
- Lists are your friends. Make a list of all of the things you would like to have done in the bathrooms you are looking to remodel. Do they need new tile? Do you want to put in new flooring? A new bathtub? Are you looking at closet solutions for the bathroom? Part of having a good bathroom remodeling job is doing all the planning before any of the work even begins. Make you list and then go through and and decide what needs to be done right away and what may be able to wait. If your toilet is leaking, that needs to be dealt with sooner than, say, putting in that rain shower hear you like so much. Marry your to do lists up with your budget to start to make your plan for your space.
- Find the right contractor to work on your space. If you want to have all new tile put in your bathroom, the chances are good that you are going to have to find a good contractor to help. Talk to the other homeowners you know about the renovations they have had done. Look online at sites like Yelp and Angie’s List. There are also a number of Facebook groups and pages that are set up to promote local businesses. Ask them if they know of good home remodeling companies. You are going to have the company work in your home, you need to find the right company and you can, if you take your time.
- Use accents. If you cannot put that fancy tile all over your bathroom, for example, you can use a fun and patterned tile sparingly around your bathroom to draw attention to it. You can also get a few great pieces for your bathroom to add style and class without spending a ton of money on the remodel job. Even switching up the lighting can help create a space that is relaxing when you need it to be and functional when you need that.
Just remember that it is possible to have fun when you work on remodeling projects all around your home.