How to Caulk a Bathtub
>Bathtub is supposed to be very important part of your washroom and if you do not stop the penetration of tiny water drops coming from bathtub, you would surely damage your valuable home. To avoid facing this damage, you need to make sure that whether the tub is properly caulked or not.
Here are some solutions for you:
1. Examine the joint between the bathtub and the wall:
From the edge of bathtub clean soap scum, mildew, and all old caulk. During the course of this process make sure that the surface of tub is not scratched. For cleaning the moisturizer always use denatured alcohol.
2. Use caulk approved for bathroom surfaces:
You will be having plenty of color options while buying the silicon. It is said that the more silicon you use, the more costs it demands. But, it must be in your mind that it has mildew prevention and can be used as per the required needs.
3. Apply masking tape to both sides of where you want your new caulk bead, with the edges of the tape lining up to exactly where you want the bead of caulk to stop:
This is supposed to be professional technique used by most of the professionals for ensuring the even looking bead without any mess. It is suggested that this technique should be applied at eighth-inch between two tape pieces.
4. Load caulk tube in caulk gun:
Experts hold the opinion that use of sharp knife may cut the application tip and opening should be very carefully made as it may not form big bead. Similarly, opening should not be small so that caulk may not to be highly pressurized. Actually, most of the tubes are coming with thin barriers which prevent the caulk from curing hence you should complete the solution by inserting a wire.
5. Hold caulk gun over trash and depress trigger to move caulk forward filling the tip:
When you press the button of caulk gun, it must not burst or drip. Hence, you should release trigger lock for maintaining light pressure inside the tube.
6. Point tip in position at seam:
Tip must be above the surface and during the course of tipping the seam, try to create a uniform bead. It is suggested that keep pressing the trigger unless you do not complete the corners. But the flow of caulk should be carefully watched.
7. Repeat for each seam, usually three walls:
Continue the process in the same fashion under the said instruction.
8. When you stop, remember to release the trigger lock to relieve pressure inside tube or caulk will continue to flow out:
This is very sensitive and highly recommended. Hence, you should employ due care while executing this work.
9. Smooth the caulk out between the pieces of masking tape, pressing it into the corner with your finger as you go along, and removing excess caulk:
For wiping your fingers off, keep a bunch of tissues or dry towel.
10. Remove the masking tape before the caulk starts to skin over:
For perfect cleaning you may use your finger and for caulk cure you need to wait at least 24/36 hours before exposing the water.