Remodeling a home is a big investment that brings big returns. One of the most popular remodeling projects is the kitchen. Approximately 69% of people who said they were either in the process of or about t begin a remodel project were doing something with their kitchens. That is a wise choice, even if their project is just a touch up, it will increase their home’s value by a whopping 73%. Many people think now is a good time to start a design remodel. A little more than half of home owners think that and about 60% of those looking to remodel in 2015 say they will most likely outspend people who did the same thing last year.
Experts predict that the aging of the baby boomer generation will usher in a design remodel era of open floor plans, easily accessible bathtubs and showers, and freestanding sinks and cabinets. The new design will focus on providing more accessibility but without losing any aesthetic value.
How to choose an architect.
This is a big decision for anyone. For people looking for a residential design and build, the end product will be their home so they need to be sure they will like it. Here are some tips:
- Make sure they have the proper credentials. Every architect must be certified by the American Institute of Architects. Verify that they are. They also have useful information about architects.
- Look at samples of their work. Do this in person, if you can. With any luck they have designed a few places in the area where you live. You can look online at their work but you will get a better feel for what it is like to be in the space if you are actually in it. You will like your design remodel much better if you find someone whose space you have loved in person.
- Have an open and honest talk about your budget. Be as clear as you can with them about how much you can and cannot spend on your project. You do not want to come to the end and then find you both had very different ideas about what everything would cost. Make sure you ask about additional costs, fees or other additions that might come in.
- Ask for references. See what their past clients have to say. Look them up on Yelp! and Facebook. Ask your friends and family. Someone, somewhere has an opinion of this person and you should find out what it is.
- What do you think about them? Are they interested in your questions and ideas? Do they address all your concerns in a timely manner? Do they respond quickly to requests for information? This person is going to be a central part of your life for a while so you should like them. More importantly, perhaps, they should be willing to give you the time you need to communicate your questions and concerns. If they just brush off your ideas, and remember they will not be living in the house, you will. Get someone else.
The home remodeling process may seem long, confusing sometimes and always arduous. It seems everything takes longer than you expected. Never fear! It may sometimes seem a bit much during the renovation but once you are done, you will left with the home you really want. And that feeling will last a good deal longer than any home renovation, no matter how big.
If you have questions about an upcoming or proposed home remodeling project, please share them in our comment section. Thank you!