If you like the way your heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system keeps your home comfortable, you are not alone. Nearly 5% of all of the electricity that is produced in the United States is used for air conditioning (AC) systems. This costs homeowners about $11 billion every year. Life is made possible, or at least more comfortable in much of the country. If you live in a home with an AC unit, you know how important it is to keep it running healthy and happy all year. There are some things you can do to avoid needing a costly visit from the local AC repair service company. Here are some things that you can do:
- Check your air filters. Checking and cleaning your air filters is one of the best things you can do to keep the local AC repair service company away. The problem that pops up when you do not pay enough attention to your air filters is that they make your system work a lot harder when they are clogged or dirty. That can force your system to work a lot harder to cool your home and can even end up with the motor in your AC unit just failing altogether. The frequency with which you will need to change out your air filters will depend on a lot of factors such as where you live and what kinds of pets, if any, that you have. It is a whole lot cheaper to replace a filter than your entire AC unit.
- Pay attention to your thermostat. People do not always think about their thermostat but there are things you can do with it to keep your HVAC system running healthily and happily:
- Place it correctly. You need to make sure your thermostat is not near something that blows hot or cold air over it. If it is near the oven or even a hot lamp, it may think your space is warmer than it is and the AC unit can run longer. If it is near a window where hot or cold air can get to it, it will confuse your system and it can make it run too long.
- Put in a digital thermostat. If you have not done so already, putting in a digital thermostat can help you keep an eye on the temperature of your home when you are away. It can also let you set your HVAC unit to heat or cool the areas where you and your family spend more time.
- Keep the area around your AC unit clear. If your unit is outside, you should take a walk around it from time to time and make sure there is no debris on top of it or anything else leaning against it. This is one easy way to keep the local AC repair service away. Your unit needs to have clean air flowing in and out. This cannot happen when you have furniture, equipment or other items leaning against it or debris and dirt clogging it up.
- Develop a good relationship with the local AC repair service. You should have a maintenance contract with the local AC repair service. They can come to your home once a year to give your AC unit a look over and make sure it is running the way it should. Having a good relationship with the local AC repair service company can help when or if you need to call them because your unit is not working. This is because, when your unit breaks down, there is a good chance that you are not the only one in town with this problem. If you have a good relationship with the repair people,
you will have a better chance of getting them out to your home when you need them. You are also not in the best position to negotiate a good price for your repairs when you are in the middle of a crisis.
Modern HVAC systems make it a lot more pleasant to live in many parts of the country. Paying some attention to your unit throughout the year can keep it running when you need it the most.